It takes a little time to prepare, but the caramel sauce topping and baked in sweetness is well worth the effort and planning! Our fresh ground full flavor cinnamon makes a difference with this unforgettable dish!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsp Stuart's Spices Fresh Ground Cinnamon
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups half & half
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour into greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Lightly brown French bread in oven, then place on top of the caramel mixture in the baking dish. Fill gaps with any remaining bread.
- Combine sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon, and sprinkle over bread.
- In large bowl, mix eggs, half & half, vanilla, and remaining cinnamon. Pour over bread, slowly, to keep the bread from floating.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 300°F for 40-50 minutes until custard has set. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut and serve bottom side facing up.
Other recipes you might like